Nashville, N.C. — Four of the five inmates who escaped Monday from the Nash County Detention Center were in custody by 4:20 a.m. Tuesday, according to Sheriff Keith Stone. The other inmate remained at large.
According to Stone, the five inmates forced through a fence in the exercise yard at about 3:30 p.m. and escaped through the hole. Stone said they made their way into a wooded area, where they may have been picked up by an accomplice.
The inmates were being monitored by camera in the yard, but Stone said the camera was pointed in a different direction at the time. He said it was possible the inmates knew they were in a blindspot.
The inmates that escaped were identified as:
- David Marshal Viverette, 28
- David Ruffin Jr., 30
- Keonte Daemoan Murphy, 23
- Raheem D-Carlos Horne, 26
- Laquaris Rashad Battle, 23
Battle remained at large Tuesday morning.
Viverette and Horne made it to Hal Orr’s Inn in Rocky Mount, 15 miles away from the jail in Nashville.
Stone said a tip led deputies to the motel.
A motel employee said the men were hiding in a room that was reserved by a woman two nights in a row.
“They went knocking on doors,” William Sweet said of deputies searching for the inmates. “They went to one room, and it took them so long to come to the door, so they kept knocking and knocking. They cut the light on. When they went back and knocked again, the guy came out of the room. The next thing you know, the other one came out of the room.”
Viverette was in jail under a more than $100,000 bond on charges on robbery and possession of a stolen vehicle. He was captured on Monday night.
Ruffin has a long criminal history, including charges in multiple counties and charges of taking indecent liberties with a child. He was being jailed under a $10,000 bond for a drug charge.
Murphy is also on the sex offender registry and was due in court Tuesday on a simple assault charge. He had previously been out on probation, but was jailed on an assault by strangulation charge, as well as other assault charges.
Horne is currently facing charges in Nash, Edgecombe, Franklin and Wilson counties. He was due back in court next month and was being held under a $92,500 bond. He was back in custody on Monday night.
Battle was in jail under no bond on a charge of being in possession of a stolen vehicle.
Stone said the FBI was called in to assist in the search, as well as other area law enforcement departments. Officers were also searching by foot, air and conducting check point stops.
“We have the best of the best out here working to bring these individuals back into custody,” he said.
Stone urged everyone in the area to lock their cars and their houses while authorities continue their search.
Anyone with information is asked to call the sheriff’s office immediately.
Crime Stoppers is offering a $1,500 reward for any information that leads to the capture of the remaining suspects. Anyone with information is asked to call 252-459-1510.